14 January 2009

Winter Solstice

I love Christmas. I love the music, the lights, the anticipation, the excitement that the kids have, the parties, and all the good foods. The daylight during this time gets really short but that doesn't bother me because Christmas is coming. I know some people really struggle with depression because of the lack of sunlight. But, a few days before Christmas we cross the winter solstice and the days start getting longer again.

After Christmas and then New Year's, life gets a little slow for me. All the excitement and joy of the holiday's are over and I have to go back to work. I don't get a paid holiday from work until Memorial day at the end of May. I'm trying to push for Groundhog day as a paid holiday but nobody's going for it yet. It seams the only thing I get to look forward to is the days are getting longer. Now I leave for work in the dark but arrive at work in the daylight. I leave from work in the daylight and arrive home in the dark. A couple of weeks ago it was all dark. At least I have a window seat at work so I can look outside during the day. That's helpful.

As the days get longer I'm starting to think of the projects at home I need to get accomplished this year. We still have a couple of months of winter left so I can't be too ambitious since most of my projects are outside. We're just putting together lists and organizing ourselves so we can get materials and things that we'll need to get everything done. I have several projects that I need the girls to work on, like cleaning up yard debris, but I have a hard time keeping them motivated. I think if I can figure out how to accomplish that I'll be able to write a best seller on how to get your kids to work.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's cool you're doing a blog. It's fun to hear about your life. When someone writes a blog, they know it can be read by anyone and I think we all tend to be more thoughtful with our words than we are in email or conversation. Speaking of Robotech, Tana loved the first book, and after we get settled in our new place, we'd like to borrow a few more, like a circulating library type thing. Just now I can't recall what the alpha and beta fighters were involved in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem on borrowing the Robotech books. Now that I know where they are it's easy to get to them. The Alpha and Beta ships were introduced in the third generation of Robotech. Prior to that they were just Veritech fighters.

    ReplyDelete