02 February 2009

Children Sleeping

One of my favorite times of the day is when I get to go in and check on the girls before Kylee and I go to sleep. Not only does it mean that I am about to lay down and go to sleep but I get to go into a quiet bedroom. It is one of the few times during that day that all four girls are in their room and it's quiet. And sometimes it's clean.

After a long day of laughing and crying and complaining about starving and running and being a horse and jumping and wanting to go somewhere because they're bored and not wanting to go somewhere because then they'll have to get dressed, we try and get them to settle down, brush teeth, get pajamas on and get ready for bed. It always takes a little while to get everyone together, to sit still, stop talking and fold their arms so we can say prayer. Then they're in bed and talking and arguing and running around the bedroom before they finally fall asleep.



Sometimes, after all of that, it's hard to remember why we wanted children. It's always nice to have the house quiet again. We can relax and have a quiet conversation without interruptions. If we decide to get a drink of water we don't also have to fill up three other cups because the girls suddenly realized that they're thirsty too. Laila doesn't count because she can get her own. But when I go into their room after they're asleep, and tuck them in because they've kicked off their covers and are curled up in a ball because they're cold. Then I remember why we have children. They're so cute and soft and cuddly when they're sleeping. It makes it easier going to bed thinking that they'll still be like that in the morning when we get up and start it all over again.




No comments:

Post a Comment