I found out a couple of weeks ago that I was being signed up for a three day SQL Programming class here in Portland. I was being signed up with a co-worker who was hired to replace our database guy. Last week when they actually tried to sign us up it was discovered that the class had been canceled due to not enough people registering for it.
The next class is in April, or they were offering the same class in Seattle at the same dates as Portland. Last Wednesday I was told they signed us up for the Seattle class because the training company was willing to pay for our hotel. That meant that we were leaving Sunday night and returning home Wednesday night. Kylee wasn't real happy about it, neither was I for that matter, but I didn't have much choice.
Friday afternoon I finally received confirmation from the training company that finally gave us some information. Up until then we didn't know where the training facility was actually located or where we would be staying. I quickly went to Yahoo! (I think Google's over rated) and looked up the hotel. When I got home I told Kylee that the "Suite" I will be staying in has a fireplace and a full kitchen. We get a hot breakfast and a hot dinner. Kylee said she wanted to go, and I said why not. Then she made some arrangements for the girls and Sunday after church we left for Seattle.
My co-worker was planning on flying up on Saturday to stay with some friends, this was one of the reasons Kylee wanted to go, but on Sunday he called and said he was still here and needed a ride up. I had to talk Kylee back into going, even though we didn't get three hours to ourselves in the van. When we checked in she was definitely glad she went.
The suites were laid out like apartment buildings. Each building had eight suites, four on the bottom and four on the top with access to two bottoms and two tops on either side of the building. We were on the top, which was classified as a town house. Within the town house we had two floors. One full bathroom and bedroom upstairs (that's where Griffyn slept) and one full bathroom and bedroom downstairs with a full kitchen and living room with the fireplace. It was very nice.
Kylee spent Monday, Tuesday and most of Wednesday sleeping in and playing with Griffyn. I had it pretty easy too. My class didn't start until 9:00. We took a 1½ hour lunch at 11:30 and finished by 4:00. Kylee enjoyed all the shopping centers and malls near by in the evenings when we went out and she even enjoyed the company of my co-worker on the trip up and back.
The training company has many more classes that I am trying to get into. The training was good, the instructor was good and the lodging was great. I definitely want to do that again.
Lucky Kylee. I'm glad she got the break. I've gone a couple of trips with Sean and they have yet to turn out as good or relaxing as I've been promised.
ReplyDeleteNext time it is an SQL class talk to my boss and maybe I can go too!
ReplyDeleteWow! That sounds fabulous! Shonee and I were just considering a train ride up to Seattle for an anniversary trip. Sounds like it might be a winner. Isn't it such a blessing to have family and friends close by that you can comfortably leave your kids with for a few days!
ReplyDelete