I like living close to family. Saturday morning I was outside putting up some siding on my house. Kylee was talking to her mother about something and it came up that I was outside working. Three minutes later my father-in-law came walking down the trail and chewed me out for not letting him know that I had already started. There wasn't much he could have done by that time anyway. He's not allowed to climb ladders (mother-in-law's orders) and I only have one nail gun. The first two rows didn't require any cutting, except the last piece, so he would have just stood around watching. At the time he showed up I was ready for row three.
The third row required a lot of cutting and took as long to put up as the first two rows did by myself. Most of my time was spent going up and down the ladder. Twenty feet is a long way to climb with a full sheet of T-111. Fortunately there were only two or three times I carried a sheet up and had to bring it back down because the cut was off by a little bit. Most of the time my father-in-law had the board cut and he as holding it for me at the bottom of the ladder before I finished nailing up the previous piece.
The third row required a lot of cutting and took as long to put up as the first two rows did by myself. Most of my time was spent going up and down the ladder. Twenty feet is a long way to climb with a full sheet of T-111. Fortunately there were only two or three times I carried a sheet up and had to bring it back down because the cut was off by a little bit. Most of the time my father-in-law had the board cut and he as holding it for me at the bottom of the ladder before I finished nailing up the previous piece.
We spent most of the day working on finishing all the siding on the house. The bumpout on the front of the house was much easier than the side. We put siding shingles on that part which are much smaller and lighter to carry. I got sunburned, bruised and drank about two gallons of water but it's all done now. On Sunday after conference we took a leisurely stroll up the trail to my in-laws for dinner. I think our trail is my favorite part of our property right now. I still have a lot of brush and tree limbs to clean out along the side of the trail but the ground is fairly smooth and we've lined it with trees. It kind of reminds me of scout camp.
The weather was beautiful this weekend and I'm glad I was able to be out in it. I had other things I wanted to work on besides siding but it's out of the way now. The girls played outside with the dogs and got burnt and we all enjoyed the nice breeze and the wonderful sounds of nature. At our house that includes dogs and chickens as well as birds and squirrels and flying bugs. Even though we will always have work to do, I'm very grateful for our property and everything we are able to do with it.
I love those sentiments. I hope your inspection went well and you are able to take the next steps for your home.
ReplyDelete